Sunday, September 3, 2017

Preparing the Canvas for a Commission Painting

Look how much bigger the 30" x 40" canvas is
compared to the small 8" x 10" study!  
It has been miserably hot (105) and smoky from all the horrible fires around the state today, but I did get out to my studio early enough this morning to prep the canvas for my large 30" x 40" commission painting.  I set it up on my easel to make sure it fit in my small and crowded studio.  Since I have been painting small 6" x 6" Daily Paintings lately, this canvas seems huge!  But I am very excited to get to it.  The ozone and heat prevented me to do much more in my studio for the rest of the day, but I am hoping to get going on the painting this week.

Here are photos of the clay pot color which I toned the canvas.  I used gesso tinted with acrylics.  I brushed it on with a wide brush then wiped it smooth with an old credit card to even out the brush strokes.  This seemed to work well and I think it will be a good background for the painting.

Brushing on the new tinted gesso. 

Half way there. 


All ready to get started...
when my studio is cool enough that is.