Monday, April 11, 2016

Still Exploring the Color ORANGE

SPRING POPPIES  6x6  oils
APRIL 11th  Monday
Last week we took a 3 day trip to Monterey, CA and the coast.  I was amazed to see all the California poppies in bloom on the hill sides and even in downtown Carmel and Monterey!  Well naturally, I had to take photos! After all, they are ORANGE!  I was so surprised how difficult poppies are to paint and they are made up of such a variation of oranges and yellows.  Capturing the various shadows and changes in color was a challenge.  

< Here is my first effort.  I worked in water mixable oils on an ampersand gesso panel.  DAILY PAINTING # 29



SPREAD A LITTLE SUNSHINE


< Here is my 2nd effort.   I am worried that my paintings will not be dry in time for my Open Studio April 23 & 24th, so I thought I would try acrylics this time.  Wow!  What a difference!  I have not worked in acrylics in a number of years and found it quite a challenge.  The colors change as they dry, blending is more difficult and making puddles of color doesn't work because they dry so quickly.  But I worked on.
DAILY PAINTING #30    6x6 acrylics on ampersand gesso panel





CALIFORNIA GOLD   6x6 acrylics

< Second try at acrylics. I am slowly learning to manage acrylics and remembering from my work with them years ago.  I realize that I could use some new brushes,  I don't want to use my oil brushes and the ones I have are just too soft.  And I am struggling with the transparency of acrylics too.  But I do think this one is a little better.  
DAILY PAINTING #31





CARMEL POPPIES  4X6 acrylics
< So now I am getting a little more confident in acrylics.... well just a little.  This time I tried a smaller painting... just 4" x 6" on gessoed watercolor paper.  I found these poppies growing near the Carmel River in front of a house.  So cheerful to see them!
DAILY PAINTING #32





I can't believe I have painted 32 paintings now!  Great practice!
These little guys will be available for sale at my Open Studio.  
6x6s are $100 without a frame / $125 with a floater frame.  
4x6s are matted to fit an 8" x 10" frame and are $45 each.  
Believe me, they look better in person!  Come on by and check them out!

I am often asked "How long did it take you to paint that?"
My answer is simple: 
"After 50 years of practice, it took me 3 hours to paint this small painting."