Friday, January 29, 2021

Afternoon Walk in Pacific Grove


Painting "en plein air" on location  - it was cold!

   
The original plein air painting created in PG

I am enjoying doing a commission painting working from a small plein air painting I painted along the Pacific Grove coast a few years ago.  These nice folks bought a note card of the painting at a bookstore that sells my art note cards.  They liked the painting on the card and asked me to do a larger painting for them.  The storms in California have made it difficult to get to my studio until today, but I finally got a start on the under painting.  I will post my progress as it goes.

Step 1 prep the canvas with red paint
and draw the composition

 


Blocking in some of the background color











DAY 1
I like working on a red background sometimes,
especially when there is a lot of green in the painting.
The red background will 
sparkle through in a few places, adding interest. 




Here I have started to block in the focal point tree shapes.  


             Hopefully, I will be able to work on the painting again tomorrow!