Sunday, April 1, 2018

More Work on Pacific Grove House Painting

This is what the house looks like today.  My client's uncle lives in the house and he said the lavender had been removed so I don't know exactly where it had been.  The large, tall trees make a wonderful background to this house.
Using my practice painting (see previous blog post), and the many photos I took of the house, I was able to make a drawing in proportion to my 18" x 24" canvas panel and graph out the basic drawing.

These photos show my steps in working out the dark and light values in the foreground and trees.  In the bottom right photo I have added the house color, brick and refined the tree shapes & colors.




These photos show the steps working out the sky color, tree shapes, adding the lavender and shadow patterns on the house.  I also worked on the yard plants and added the fences.

More refinements to the trees, adding the small tree in the front yard, and more work on the lavender.
Here I have added the curb & street and added more plants to the front yard.  I felt the mail box was too big, so I made it smaller so as not to detract from the house.

At this point I feel that I am nearly finished with the painting, except for a few more refinements and pending input from my client.  When the painting is finished, it will need time to rest and dry before signing and adding a coat of varnish.