Wednesday, November 2, 2016

New Paper Crane Ornaments


I have been folding origami paper cranes for many years.  I do not consider myself to be an origami folder, but a folder of Paper Cranes.  The tradition of folding cranes has been around in Japan for many years.  It is said that if you fold 1,000 cranes you will have a wish come true.  The story of Sadako Sasaki's folding cranes when she came down with cancer is well known.  I fell in love with the idea that paper cranes have become an international symbol of peace when she wrote in her diary: 

"I will write Peace on your wings and you will fly all over the world"

I love that quote and in this chaotic world we live in we certainly need PEACE.  I have folded well over 3,000 cranes, and not only folded them, but embellished them.  I love playing with various media and have been playing with ways to embellish my paper cranes.   I inherited a large number of vintage and antique beads from my mother who loved to collect them.  So I started using some of them in my crane embellishments.   

< I have had a booth at the Lodi Sandhill Crane Festival for 8 years now showing my paper cranes.

This year I decided to try some new designs.  These include a tassel at the bottom and some new shorter crane ornaments with some pretty exotic beads.  I have new earrings to show as well.   I search high and low for beads, and washi paper to fold my cranes.  I only use the finest of hand silkscreened Japanese washi paper for my designs.  

Please visit me at the  Sandhill Crane Festival  again this year 
Nov. 5th and 6th 2016  at Hutchins Street Square in Lodi, CA. 



New Crane Ornaments




Some of my earring designs



Multiple Crane Mobiles



 These are some of my crane family groups with various size cranes on a single strand.


















I do commissions for paper crane earrings, ornaments, mobiles, etc.  
Send me an email to ask about the design you would like. 

thegoldenpapercrane@earthlink.net